Saturday, November 29, 2008

I didn't think this would ever happen!!!!!

Our Sweet, Smart, Strong Willed, Determined, Head Strong, little girl Sophie is such a joy to us... We love her dearly, but she has about given us a run for our money! :) There are times when her determination, strong will and stubbornness give me so much comfort...for example, this little girl of ours can't be bribed, she can't be talked into things that she doesn't want to be talked into, she doesn't care what's the "cool" thing to do, or "if everyone else is doing it"...These can be great characteristics when she's a teenager. If we can just get her to WANT to Choose the Right, She'll be OK!!!!
But as for getting potty trained it's a whole other story... Ummmm where to start? Well last April I did a post on "Potty Training!!!" (here's the link)
http://legrandbecslittlelaings.blogspot.com/2008/04/potty-training.html Sophie has been capable of being potty trained for along time....but she didn't want to. I didn't want to push it when I was pregnant with Kolby or right after he was born, cause I've heard that they'll just revert back to having accidents...We didn't want to create to many things to get used to all at the same time.... So right after she turned 3 we tried....and we failed miserably....I guess the fact that she got a bladder infection didn't help at all...since then she has outright refused to go "potty" on the toilet or to wear her panties. She even said she didn't want the Sleeping Beauty Dress and Shoes we had bought and was happy when we went to return them to the store together. I realized that if you have to you actually can hold them on the toilet, but you can't make them release it. So we decided to take a break for a while. I felt defeated...I know it shouldn't be a battle to see who is going to win...Sophie or Mom and Dad...but I still felt like I just lost!!! Sad, Sad, Sad!!!
I didn't think this little break would last very long since she is totally capable...I didn't bring it up very often, I've had to pretend that it's not a big deal, but the break just kept getting longer and longer....when I would leave her at a friends house or with a babysitter I would tell her to keep her diaper dry, or don't go Blah(That's what she called it if she was stinky) until Mommy gets home. and she always did it.
Well LeGrand and I decided we needed to try again....after 1 accident and 2 days our little Sophie is Potty Trained!!! Sophie has amazing bladder control, even though it was a challenge and it was the reason it took 2 days to potty train her....she can hold it forever!! Seriously for like 8-12 hours! It worried us, cause it can't be healthy to do hold it for that long, but anyways she's potty trained now!! Yeah!!! A week later she's still doing great! She doesn't ever wear diapers, she's always dry in the morning, she does it all by herself and never even forgets to wash her hands!! We are so proud of you Sophie!! We didn't think it would ever happen, but oh we are so glad it did!! YEEAAAAHHHH!!!! Sophie loved picking out a Littlest Pet Shop and put her glittery stickers on her potty chart. As soon as she decided that this is what she wanted to do, she was practically potty trained!!! Thanks Grandparents and LeGrand for talking to her and being excited with her on the phone when she went!!!! Sophie we are so proud of you!!

8 comments:

Megan said...

Yay Sophie! And bravo Bec and Le. I'm so proud.

..Kris Naven.. said...

Isn't it the best thing ever when they finally do it! How exciting! Congrats Sophie! Now Kolby will be next!!!

Yasmine said...

YAY! You've reached a happy place--only 1 in diapers now! Congratulations!

Kirsten said...

Way to go Sophie!!! We are so proud of you...you are a sweet, determined little girl and you did it!!! I am excited that you get to go to preschool and on Daddy/Daughter camp trips too! Good job!

Becca I have to tell you that you have the patience of none I have ever witnessed before. You did a good job and were always so great and patient with Sophie, never pushing her over what she wanted to do. That is not easy when our kids can be so stubborn sometimes. They really have to do it on their own time frame. You deserve a medal for your efforts with Sophie on this one!!! I am so proud of you too!!!! ;-)

Cristy said...

That is so awesome! I understand how wonderful it is!! I NEVER thought I would ever have a potty-trained child! What a blesing!!

kelly said...

Woo hoo, 3 down 1 to go!!!

~H said...

good work you did it!!! we are so excited for you!!! And for Sophie! It was so fun to spend time with you guys this week! We love you tons! I loved watching each of the chilins make amazing touch downs! xoxo love you guys!

Emily Rasmussen said...

Sophie! That is great!!! We are so proud of you! You are so grown up! I am so glad that you stick up for what you want that really can help you acomplish really great things! You are beautiful!

Becca, way to hang in there! I keep dreaming of the day when I can post something like this about Bridger! :O) But most likely it will be in a year or two! ;)