Monday, March 21, 2011

Hives

I've been stalling getting this posted...probably because it's such a trying challenge that we have had to deal with recently... I've been feeling like I needed to get this documented. A few weeks ago our Stake President asked me to speak in Our Stake Conference and talk about what had been going on. So I decided I'd just put parts of my talk on here. I hope it's not to personal. During this whole ordeal I really didn't do a very good job of taking pictures. Believe it or not, these pictures were when it was fairly mild. When he was doing really bad I had my hands too full to take pictures of it. Now I wish I had some though! Here we go.....

Last October LeGrand broke out in hives. We don’t know why, nothing like this had ever happened to him before. The hives covered his entire body. We were at the Dr Office every day trying to get the hives under control and achieve some level of comfort. The Doctors were stumped and basically had no idea why LeGrand was hiving up and not responding to the treatments they were giving him, but only getting worse. LeGrand has always been healthy and never misses work unless the stays home to take care of me when I’m sick. There were several weeks over a period of two months when he was in bed unable to function, which is very difficult for him because he is such a goer. After one particularly hard night I remember putting the kids to bed and feeling weighted down with what felt like the world. I was facing serious thoughts of what would we do if he doesn’t pull out of this. I was feeling alone, scared, tired and just done in. I walked downstairs and fell to my knees. I prayed to my Father in Heaven. I told him I didn’t feel strong enough to carry this burden right now. I asked for his comfort and guidance. As I was kneeling there listening and feeling I was overcome with peace. I felt my burdens and my heavy heart where lifted. I felt my Saviors arms hold me. I knew that I wasn’t alone. I knew that everything was going to be OK, It was a Tender Mercy from the Lord. Elder David A. Bednar said, “The Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ” In John 14:18 it says, “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. I know that’s true. I also felt impressed that we needed to have a family fast for LeGrand. Then I felt impressed that our ward needed to rally together and fast for our Bishop. We decided we would spread the word on Wednesday day and fast on Thursday. I felt at peace.

Since the word had spread of the seriousness of his illness on Wednesday we were bombarded with service. Meals were brought in abundance, friends took care of our 4 children, got them to school, watched the little ones while the older ones were at school, helped them with homework and piano. We received lots of emails, calls and texts to show love and support, a brother in our ward came over and even mowed our lawn. It became very real to me that the Lord works thru others to answer our prayers. Mosiah 2: 17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. Elder Dallin H. Oaks said, “We are happier and more fulfilled when we act and serve for what we give not for what we get.” (Unselfish Service, April GC, 2009)
President Monson taught, “Perhaps when we meet our maker we will not be asked how many positions you have held, but rather how many people did you help. You can never love the Lord until you serve him by serving his people.” There were so many acts of Service bestowed on our behalf during this whole ordeal that when I think about it I am overwhelmed with gratitude; it is impossible to adequately express it. I didn’t realize how hard it is to accept service. I was amazed at the kindness we received and how many people were truly inspired to act on their promptings. We have true examples of Unselfish Service all around us!

Wednesday was physically not a good day for LeGrand. He actually almost completely stopped breathing and was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. Still no answers.

Thursday was the special day of Fast. With our Family, Friends, the Ward, and because LeGrand is the Principal at the Springville High School Seminary his colleagues and hundreds of Students, both current and former, joined in the fast also. When he awoke on Thursday morning, he was free of hives, free of pain and said that he felt comfortable. We had a Dr. apt that morning and they were amazed at his progress. They were trying to figure out what they did to cause this miraculous turn around for LeGrand. I told them that they didn’t do anything- that we were experiencing a miracle because hundreds and hundreds of people were fasting for his health. Our doctor agreed that that was the answer.

Thursday night he actually broke out in hives again. I told him that just because everyone stopped fasting for him didn’t mean that he needed to have another break out. Friday Night we had to rush him to the hospital where he was admitted and stayed for 3 days because he was suffering from internal hives. He was diagnosed with Steven Johnsons Syndrome which is very severe. (these pictures were the night before he was released from the hospital. He looks great in comparison. We were really excited to see him smiling!! )
LeGrand was given several Priesthood Blessings thru this ordeal. I am so grateful that the power of the Priesthood is on the earth today and that there are so many worthy priesthood holders who can administer to those in need who have Faith. Dallin H. Oaks said, “Faith is essential for healing by the powers of heaven. The Book of Mormon even teaches that “if there be no faith among the children of men God can do no miracle among them” (Ether 12:12).
Elder Oaks goes on to say, “As children of God, knowing of His great love and His ultimate knowledge of what is best for our eternal welfare, we trust in Him. The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and faith means trust.”

My heart resonates with a statement Elder Oaks quoted from a father of a family who lost a daughter. “He declared, “Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.” Those teachings ring true to me. We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome. I testify of the power of the priesthood of God, of the power of the prayer of faith, and of the truth of these principles.”

All of us have trials and challenges; some are more visible where others are hidden deep within our hearts. (D&C 84:88) “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up”. After quoting this powerful scripture, Elder Jeffery R. Holland added, “That is an everlasting declaration of God’s love and care for us, including—and perhaps especially—in times of trouble.”
If we look at the history of the Church one of the most challenging times for the Saints and for the Prophet Joseph Smith was during the winter months of 1838-39 while he was imprisoned in the Liberty Jail. The conditions were horrific, they couldn’t stand up straight because the ceiling was only 6 ft tall and many of the men were taller than that. The floor was bare stones, sometimes covered with a little dirt and maybe some straw. The food was awful. They would only eat it when they were driven by hunger. It was sometimes contaminated and would make them extremely sick. And they were in there during what is recorded as one of the coldest winters in the state of Missouri. Elder Holland said that “Pen, or tongue, or angels,” could not adequately describe “the malice of hell” that he suffered there.” Brigham H. Roberts of the seventy and Elder Neal A. Maxwell have referred to this “Prison” actually as a Temple-Prison. Even though the Liberty Jail didn’t resemble a Temple in the sense of cleanliness, peace, beauty it was a place where Joseph Smith was able to receive sacred revelations from our Father in Heaven. They can be found in D&C 121-123. Elder Holland said. “So in what sense could Liberty Jail be called a “temple,” and what does such a title tell us about God’s love and teachings, including where and when that love and those teachings are made manifest? In precisely this sense: that you can have sacred, revelatory, profoundly instructive experiences with the Lord in any situation you are in. Indeed, you can have sacred, revelatory, profoundly instructive experiences with the Lord in the most miserable experiences of your life—in the worst settings, while enduring the most painful injustices, when facing the most insurmountable odds and opposition you have ever faced. In one way or another, great or small, dramatic or incidental, every one of us is going to spend a little time in Liberty Jail—spiritually speaking. We will face things we do not want to face for reasons that may not be our fault... ...These difficult lessons teach us that man’s extremity is God’s opportunity, and if we will be humble and faithful, if we will be believing and not curse God for our problems, He can turn the unfair and inhumane and debilitating prisons of our lives into temples—or at least into a circumstance that can bring comfort and revelation, divine companionship and peace.”
(This was taken after he was released from the hospital and full of medicine... the picture doesn't even capture it at all.)
We finally got LeGrand on the right medicines to help the hives slowly go away. We are still not out of the woods yet and have lots of unanswered questions but I do know that the Lord is in charge. We have learned a lot, hopefully we have learned and will remember all that we have experienced. I have an increased appreciation for Service, I know without a doubt that the Lord hears and answers our prayers and that we don’t have to do it alone. I know that miracles can happen if it is the Lords will. I know that there is Power in the Priesthood, I know that God won’t give us more than we can handle. I know that even though we can gain comfort and witness blessings we will still have to encounter trials and challenges. I’m just grateful that we don’t have to do it alone.

9 comments:

Harrison and Christine said...

Becca, I'm so sorry!! I hope that all is better from here on out. you are such a great example of faith and endurance! Thank you for sharing this!

Rachel said...

Wow, that's rough! I'm so sorry you all went through that. Especially LeGrand. Your faith is such an inspiration. I'll pray that LeGrand continues to heal and be well.

Laura said...

Oh My!!! Thats all so crazy!! I was very inspired by your words though, thank you! You are in our prayers!

Bowen Family said...

Oh, Becca! I'm so sorry to hear about his huge ordeal you guys have had to go through and are still facing. You're family is absolutely amazing and please know that we are here if there is anything you need!

Emily Rasmussen said...

oh, we love you guys! I hope they find an answer. I hope you never have to go through all of that again!

Kip and Lindsay said...

Becca,
This touched my heart so much. You are so strong and have such a great faith. It breaks my heart to see the picture of LeGrand and your kiddos in the hospital, you can see the look of concern in all their faces. You are in our prayers. I pray that you may find peace and the strength you need.
Love,
Lindsay (Snow) Lewis

kathryn said...

Becca,
Thank you for posting this. I really wanted to hear you talk in conference and know that by posting this I was able to hear and be touched by the spirit through your testimony. I also know that we are strengthened through our trials, but that we will only be give what we are able to bear. Hang in there.

Brooke Hill said...

Oh man! What a story. I was in tears reading it! I hope that things are getting better and your amazing husband is back to full health very soon! I miss you and you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Love you!

Shaylin said...

Oh my! I'm glad he is doing better! SO scary. Get completely better soon Brother Laing! :)